This “best of the best” five list was announced Saturday (May 26) at the Hay Festival, which is running this year in its flagship event in Wales through June 3.
Full article here – vote for your favorite.
The list comprises books by three men and two women:
• 1971, In a Free State by VS Naipaul, Picador (selected by juror Robert McCrum)
• 1987, Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively, Penguin (selected by juror Lemn Sissay)
• 1992, The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje, Bloomsbury (selected by juror Kamila Shamsie)
• 2009, Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Fourth Estate (selected by Simon Mayo)
• 2017, Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders, Bloomsbury (selected by Hollie McNish)